Happy Mother's Day

A Tribute to Mothers



For my mother and all mothers on Mother's Day. Below are 10 quotes that embody the joys and love we share with our mothers and being mothers ourselves.
  • "A woman has two smiles that an angel might envy, the smile that accepts a lover before words are uttered, and the smile that lights on the first born babe, and assures it of a mother's love." ~ Thomas C. Haliburton
  • "What are Raphael's Madonnas but the shadow of a mother's love, fixed in permanent outline forever?" ~Thomas Wentworth Higginson
  • "I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine - she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights." ~Adabella Radici

  • "I miss thee, my Mother! Thy image is still the deepest impressed on my heart." ~Eliza Cook
  • "A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self. And mothers are their daughters' role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships." ~Victoria Secunda
  • "All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother." ~Abraham Lincoln
  • "My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart - a heart so large that everybody's joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation." ~Mark Twain


  • "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path." ~ Agatha Christie
  • "I really learned it all from mothers." ~ Dr. Benjamin Spock
  • "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her." ~ George Washington (1732-1799)
Special thanks to Chrissie 2003's Photosteam for her petal art images, reminescent of Georgia O'Keefe.