Lingerie: Sexy or Sensible?

What way do you like to wear your lingerie?

Sexy? Or Sensible?



Bazaar just published an article, Lingerie: Sexy or Sensible, arguing each side. Why can't lingerie be sexy and sensible? Multipurposed? Something that is fashionable and functional? I think Carole Radziwill's (image below left) position of sexy (published below) does prove that lingerie can be flirty, fun and functional.



"Silk stockings and garter belts are the new burned bra. Seriously, though, a friend recently called me antifeminist for saying it. Me! The foxhole journalist. The girl who covered two wars, lived in refugee camps, slept in tents with military infantry units, and wore government-issue fatigues (tailored, naturally). And the girl who likes to wear sexy underwear.

My top drawer is filled with demi bras and lace panties, peekaboo undies, corsets, garter belts, and an endless supply of silk stockings. But I don't save it all for special occasions or weekend getaways with a man. I wear it because it makes me feel good.

Like most addictions, mine started innocently, when Kiki De Montparnasse -- the high-end lingerie shop famous for sexy little nothings (not to mention 24-karat-gold-plated vibrators) -- opened up in my neighborhood. I was curious. Soon Kiki and I fell madly in love. I stole entire afternoons in her dimly lit dressing rooms trying on teddies and rompers, briefs and thongs, silk slips and thigh-high cashmere socks, and my favorite, garter belts.

I'll never forget my first: nude silk with black-satin trim. The night I bought it, I channeled Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham, rolling the stockings up slowly to the belt and attaching the hooks one by one. Then I threw on a casual dress and met friends for dinner. I'm not a shy girl, but the garter made me feel empowered. My feminine underwear made me act more like a man! Plus, wearing this secret ammo kicked up my confidence a notch, and if you think garters are sexy, watch the effect a little confidence has on men. A whiff of it and they circle like wolves.

Sure, cotton can be hot, too, like on Scarlett Johansson in the opening of Lost in Translation, but that's where it should stay: in the movies. Real life needs fantasy, and you shouldn't wait for a man to provide it. Owning your sexuality gives you power, and power is what feminism is all about, after all. So why burn a bra when you can wear a lace demi cup under your man-tailored suit? No one has to know but you."


While cotton white panties are comfortable, they too have their place in a lingerie drawer. In the back. To read Amy Larocca's position all for sensible panties sans the sexy, click on Sexy or Sensible Lingerie.

One of my favorite brands that is fashionably functional is Chantelle. The Caprise Bra (directly above) and Basic Invisible Bra (image at the top of the post) are versatile bras that can be worn everyday and take you into the evening. Chantelle, a luxurious brand, carries bra that are not only comfortable but also beautiful, coming in a variety of sizes whether you have small breasts or are large busted.

You can take the position of sexy or sensible, or you can find a lingerie brand that is versatile enough to suit your needs. Either route you choose, make sure the you "Celebrate Your Inner Eve." When you feel good under your clothes, you'll outwardly project that confidence and comfort.